Thursday, December 1, 2011

April 22, 2004

I'm about 10 hours away from hoping on a plane, flying over a huge body of water, and landing in a foreign country.  I'm pumped. I'm psyched.  I'm getting my passport stamped. This is what get's my heart beatin'.  New sights, new faces, new perspectives, new lessons - but this time around, theres a greater purpose.  


The purpose of our trip is to simply serve.  The military does so much for us, and this is our feeble two week attempt and giving something back.  Here's a little quote from a famous movie that I think of, "I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said thank you, and went on your way, Otherwise, I suggest you pick up a weapon, and stand a post."


Thankful? Yes I am.  I am thankful to the men and women who serve our country and provide me the security to lay my head down at night and wake up with the freedom to pursue any dream i choose.  


The first person I think of is Pat Tillman.  After reading up and watching the documentary about him, I know that Pat would cringe at even the thought of me mentioning him in this post.  He would balk at the idea of calling him more of a hero then the comrades that served next to him.  He turned down millions of dollars because he felt the duty to put his thoughts into actions and serve the country he loved.  That's a guy i commend.  That's a guy that i look up to.  That's a guy I call my hero.  For Pat the words "tomorrow might be dead" were a reality that he had to live with every day he went to work.  Most of us who sit at home can even begin to comprehend the level of dedication he made through his choices.  I hope I can be half the man Pat Tillman is.